Wednesday, April 14, 2010

30 Something


Today is my birthday. I used to love birthdays and look forward to the celebrations but now I really don't. It's not why you would think...I don't feel old, I am not embarrassed by my age, it's just that I don't really care. Now it feels like just another day in the life of me. I go about doing the same things I always do. As an adult, past the milestone 30, maybe this is how it is? Most of my 'mature' friends express this same sentiment. Although I am not sure that is the complete reason I feel this way...

This year I feel unsettled and a little like I am starting over. In your 30's I think you start living in reality, gone are the idealistic days of your 20's. I don't say this as a negative remark, but actually in a positive way in which one grows and matures. Yes, that's it...learning new things about yourself and being honest about the realities of life. This changes your perspective on life. Maybe this is when you start trying to live for the present, stop worrying about the future and stop regretting the past. Could it be possible that this is when you start accepting yourself for who you are? Or is this when you face yourself in the mirror and decide to make a change?

Signed,
Annie

2 comments:

  1. I think it is that we START seeing ourselves for who we are really and not what we wished we could be, and THAT becomes unacceptable and therefore we decide to make changes. In having asked myself the same questions as you stated above, that's my conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about birthdays now. I do agree that it's sort of the time in our lives where we decide who we want to be and start making that happen, regardless of where we thought we'd be by now.

    ReplyDelete