Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Off Topic


Last night I was enjoying my TV time at the end of a long day and decided to watch Lost. I was really struck by this episode and couldn't help but think about it all day today! I had to write something about it...

I am an avid follower of the show Lost. I have loved this show from the beginning and find myself even logging onto blogs and fan sites to read about all the small details that are hidden within each episode. There have been seasons when it seems like I have eaten, breathed, and lived the story, basically thinking way too much about it. I enjoy the intricacies of the story and the mystery of not knowing what exactly is going on. I like that I can play detective and try to figure it out. I like too see if the writers hid any clues to give us a sign of what things are to come. Or if they drew connections between character story lines building upon the layers of an already deep story. But the characters are the most fascinating to me. They are incredibly flawed. More than not they make poor, ill thought through choices. Then there is the themes of the show; good vs. evil, destiny vs. personal choice...

Last nights episode dealt with personal choice, and the control that we might have over our lives.
Here is an excerpt of dialogue from the episode that I really liked.

"Are you happy? Have you ever been in love? Spectacular conscience altering love? Do you know what that looks like?" -Charlie

"I wasn't aware that love looked like anything." -Desmond

"I've seen it mate....... Then I see her... A woman... raptuisly beautiful. And I know her. We're together. It's like we've always been. And always will be. This feeling. This love. Just for a moment I saw what it looked like...." -Charlie

"It's just poetry brother...." -Desmond

"Ya, I know what you're saying, but I've seen something real, I've seen the truth." -Charlie

"There's always a choice..." -Desmond

Charlie is talking about a vision he sees of his love, Claire. He doesn't realize it is her because he is in some kind of alternate reality. But it seems that fate is still going to pull them back together. So does he have any control over it? Can he make a choice, like Desmond says? Can we choose our path? Or are we destined to follow the one that is laid out before us?

Marcieanna pointed out a great quote from the Kennedy Curse that applies here, "A fatal collision course with reality..." In the story of Lost, we know that Charlie dies on the island, it appeared that he made the choice to sacrifice himself for the lives of his friends (several seasons before). This then causes me to ask if in this alternate universe Charlie is destined to make the same choice and find himself on the same fatal collision course he was on at the Island? Could the Kennedy's then or now change their course? Can we change ours?

-Signed
Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment